Tuesday 1 March 2011

secondary research - matt shlian


I have come across an awesome american paper artist & engineer, called Matt Shlian.

He has produced some amazing pieces of work over the past 10 years or so, creating normal paper sculptures in the still form but also creating kinetic paper sculptures (moveable). 

 
click here to play, then press the back button to return to my blog.
The sculpture shown below is very elegant, and reminds me a bit of Richard Sweeney's work and some of the work that was produced by my coursemates in our workshop sessions.

'C1' - Matt Shlian 2008
'Metro Times' - Matt Shlian 2006
I really like this one above, 'Metro Times', because of the use of everyday newspaper to make a sculpture, I personally find white paper sculptures a bit plain at times, and it's refreshing to see different media being used.


'Misfold at the UICA' - Matt Shlian 2009
I love the above piece, it's one of Shlian's 'kinetic' pieces. There are two identical folded paper sculptures, each of which fold down into what looks like a stack of paper, and fold out to reveal a beautiful, intricate design. In this piece, you can see one paper being unfolded, as the other is folded, and vice versa; the sculptures are being controlled by robotics which are in turn, pulling on strings.

I really like Matt Shlian's work, I've found him really inspirational and I'd love to be able to produce something like this.

laine.x

No comments:

Post a Comment